A virtual feast

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Years ago, I was part of a lovely group of women who had an unusual feast during the month of November -- a feast of books. We would each bring our favorite books we'd read during the past year, and then each person would share a short synopsis of each book on their list. In the end, one person would compile a large list, and this would be distributed by e-mail to everyone in the group. It made for great reading all year long!

This group hasn't met in a couple of years (sigh), and I miss the women, and I miss the feast. So I decided this morning in a burst of vision to have a virtual feast of books! So here's the deal: Think of your favorite books from the last year -- fiction or non-fiction, children's or adult. Then, either post the list (synopses optional) as a comment here on my blog, or (if the list is long) send me an e-mail (bookchic2@gmail.com). I'll then compile and publish the full listing on my blog Thanksgiving weekend. So ... that means you need to send your list soon -- say, no later than November 26, o.k.?

I can't wait to see what you've been reading!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to do this a second time!! Here are my favs:
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks; The Kitchen Boy (which I'm sure is on your list!!)and Year of Wonders by Kahled Housseni.

I can't wait for the feast!!! Thanks so much for doing this!!!

Michelle said...

Yummy Yummy in my Tummy!!! :) I will get on this.

Anonymous said...

My Name is Asher Lev, a rare type of book that I didn't think I would like but find myself thinking about it a lot even now.

Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers. No explanation there. I want to be more of a reader. My question is where do you all get your books? Library? Ebay?

Laura said...

I'm leaving a comment on my own blog for Elizabeth, who said the last book on her list should have said "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Housseni.

Kim said...

I have officially fallen in love with the classics this year. My fave? Jane Eyre. Love it, love it.
I also read a super creepy book that Angie Wilkes lent me called "The Book of Lost Things". Super creepy, but very well written. I loved it. Couldn't put it down.
And, of course, your standards are always on my list.

Anna said...

I love this idea! I can't wait to get the reading list.
Ok, here goes:
Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry - I love this book because it made me think about getting old and dying the purpose of life in a whole new way.

Any poems by Philip Larking - he used traditional forms, but had a lot of insight into the human condition.

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. A gorgeous, flowing book set in the 1950s, written by a dying pastor.

Virginia said...

Ooooh Laura! Go check out my blog! :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

The book that's most on my mind right now is the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. It was lovely. Seriously I can't stop thinking about it.

Debbie said...

Awesome idea - I love it! So interesting to see what others are reading.

Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers great book which led me to her book
Atonement Child, very good as well.

Nicholas Sparks (one of my favs) Nights in Rodanthe, wanted to read it before going to the movie, then the movie was gone by the time I finished! Also his book The Choice, hooked after the first few pages.

A Wife After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George which has lead to A Woman After God's Own Heart, both inspiring.

And starting on The Shack, which I have found myself unable to put down but can't finish because of the business of the holidays approaching.

Can't wait for the update!

Anonymous said...

I almost wrote about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society too! It does give a lot of food for thought and wonder about the time period. Thanks for mentioning it E. M. Reads! (I'm having trouble getting this to work again!!! :) I'll just go anonymous!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Can I be the only guy to leave a comment?
My favorite book that I read annually is "On Mexican Time" by Tony Cohan

Missy said...

I liked "Year of Wonders" alot also.

"Redeeming love" for sure.

Twilight series.

"Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier

Rachel said...

Emma by Jane Austen

Christ the King by Anne Rice

The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus by Brennan Manning

The Reason for God by Tim Keller

The Beautiful Cigar Girl by Daniel Stashower

Change Me into Zeus' Daughter by Barbara Robinette Moss

All Over but the Shoutin' and Princes of Frogtown by Rick Bragg

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons

Taste and See by John Piper

Evil and the Justice of God by N.T. Wright

i could go on......

Rachel said...

i thought of more. i've had some time on my hands.

Losing Battles by Eudora Welty

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Odd-Egg Editor by Kathryn Tucker Windham

Selected Writings of Martin Luther and John Calvin (READ THE CHURCH FATHERS!!)

Selected Poems by John Donne

Pam Martin said...

This is great! Thanks for doing this.
The Painted House by John Grisham
The Secret Life of Bees
All by Nicholas Sparks

Pam Martin

Anonymous said...

Captivating, Eldredge for older girls/women
You Can Hear the Voice of God, Sampson - delightful quick read
The Holy Spirit In You, Prince
Boundaries, Cloud/Townsend- totally incredible- will change your life!!