Long-awaited book recommendations

Friday, October 24, 2008


You may not have been waiting for them, but, frankly, I've been dying to make some book recommendations for this time of year. Autumn, Halloween, harvest, nature -- there are so many amusing, inspiring, entertaining, beautiful, and, yes, even Ghoulish, books to be found on these topics! But after my post of several days back extolling the virtues of exchanging books for nature, I thought it might be a bit hypocritical of me to recommend them. And who wants to be a hypocrite?

... But today is a rainy day, and thus (in my mind) a perfect time to curl up with a good book -- fiction or otherwise. Thanks to instructions from Dianne at Circle of Quiet, I'll be adding a Book Recommendation sidebar to my blog. Until that's done, however, you'll have to settle for these homemade photos of books I own.

Happy reading, my friend.

COMFORT FICTION:

Pilgrim's Inn
by Elizabeth Goudge
(whose books, I've just discovered, have all recently been reprinted. Yea! (except that my wish list with Amazon.com has suddenly tripled!).



NATURE:
Fallen Leaves by Louise Kollenbaum:
A leaf book and journal, complete with acetate envelopes for pressing and saving leaf specimens

City Leaves, City Trees
by Edward Gallob: For children or adults, each two-page spread includes a photograph of a tree, text identifying and describing the tree, and a page of leaf illustrations that are actually photograms, or shadow photographs (where leaves are placed directly on photographic paper and exposed to light). Very unusual.


Mushrooms
by Loni Parker and David T. Jenkins (vintage Oxmoor House, with delicately detailed, colorful illustrations) -- perfect for identifying all those mushrooms growing on our lawns right now, or just for reading and perusing, if only for the illustrations.
cover


sample illustration


HARVEST:
Pumpkins (gloriously photographed non-fiction picture book by Ken Robbins)
Pumpkin Moonshine (precious offering by famous illustrator Tasha Tudor)


GHOULISH OPTIONS:

The Haunted Churchbell (vintage picture book by Barbara Ninde Byfield)


Through the Tempests Dark and Wild
, a story of Mary Shelley (creator of Frankenstein) by Sharon Darrow.


Inkheart trilogy:
Inkheart, Inkspell (pictured), Inkdeath, by Cornelia Funke -- Not a traditional halloween stories (i.e. no "goblins"), but full of evil villains
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and The Raven, both illustrated by Gustave Dore.
Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mystery and Madness -- Poe in superbly illustrated graphic book style by Gris Grimly, the ultimate October book treat.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to start calling you Bell from Beauty and the Beast because of your love for books. It's so inspiring. You make it all sound and feel so lovely and warm. I say this because I'm not a reader. But you and others are slowly converting me!

Now, does that make G the Beast??? Nahhhhhh. lol.

Rachel said...

yeah, i've been waiting for you to make some recs. the library i go to is super small (i think the hoover library spoiled me for life!) and their fall recommendations section lacks immensly.

inkspell sounds intriguing..

Laura said...

Be sure to start with Inkheart, Rachel. It's the first in the series -- soooo good. (Young adult, maybe even middle school fiction, but imaginative and INTRIGUING!)

Kim said...

Good grief, I miss you.